Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book Review: Men of Smithfield: Adam and Holden by L.B. Gregg

Former tv star and adventurer, Holden Xavier Worthington, has lived a privileged life. He came from old money and built a rather profitable career on tv and in publishing. In the midst of all this wealth, adventure and seeming happiness, Holden lives with crippling agoraphobia; only seeing the outside world from the safety of his 9,000 square foot mansion. When the object of his desires, gardner Adam Morgan, digs up a dead body behind his shed, Holden embarks on an adventure he never dreamed of taking.

I liked this story for the most part. The characters were well developed and complex. The blatant snobbery exhibited by the townspeople, and even Holden himself, irked me. I thought people were a little too quick to blame Adam for every little thing because of his past and the fact that he was not of the same social class. Approximately 75% into the book, the story started to lag a bit and I yeared for the mystery be solved so the characters could finally move on. I understand that we had to suspect everyone, but after a while it became tedious wondering which family member, ex-boyfriend, family friend or new lover could be the murderer.

Even though many of the secondary characters annoyed me to no end, I did enjoy seeing the relationship between Holden and Adam develop. I think that was the absolute best part of the tale. The mystery was interesting, but, like I said before, it dragged a little too much for my liking.

3.5 stars

This galley was provided to me by the publisher via Netgalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment