Tuesday, December 2, 2014

I ❤️ Yaoi: Benkyou Shinasai by Takanaga Hinako

Hello yaoi lovers! Today's review is Benkyou Shinasai by Takanaga Hinako.

Kouta wanted to attend the same university as his childhood friend, Akira, but he was the only who passed. Will he be able to make Akira pass the exam?

When I first read the synopsis for this manga, I thought it was going to be a cute story about lifelong friends who help each other through their struggles and, in the process, fall in love. The reality was much different.

Neither of the main characters is all that likeable. Akira is disrespectful, a liar and uses charm, guilt and sex to manipulate people. Throughout the manga I wondered why Kouta felt so strongly towards Akira, and my heart broke for him on more than one occasion. Kouta was a doormat who allowed his so-called friend walk all over him for just a small scrap of affection.

It really saddens me that I didn't like this manga at all because I've enjoyed others from Takanaga Hinako, but this one just misses the mark for me. There is no romance, no love and no real friendship.

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment